The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Bryant Park Shooter Said Farewell to Sick Mom After Attack, Court Docs Show

By Ben Fractenberg | December 3, 2013 4:27pm
 Alleged Bryant Park ice skating rink shooter Cory Dunton expressed remorse for the shooting in a written statement, according to court filings.
Cory Dunton Statements
View Full Caption

MANHATTAN — The teen accused of shooting two people skating at Bryant Park in November said goodbye to his ailing mother after admitting to the crime, which left a 14-year-old boy paralyzed, according to court papers.

After being arrested, Cory Dunton, 16, first claimed it was a friend of his who did the shooting, but then eventually confessed after being told by detectives that innocent bystander Adonis Mera, 14, was hit by a stray bullet and might never walk again, according to court documents.

"Ma, it's over. Promise me you'll take care of yourself, promise me," Dunton was overheard saying during a phone call to his mother, who he told detectives was on dialysis, according to court documents.

"I'm going down for this, I f---ed up," Dunton told detectives, adding, "I never meant to do that."

Dunton fired five times into the crowded ice rink on Nov. 9 in Midtown after Javier Contreras, 20, refused to give him his expensive Marmot Mammoth winter coat, police said. Contreras was hit in the hand and hip, while Mera was hit in the back and leg, police and his family said.

"I did not Aim for Adonis and I am not blaming anyone for what I have done," Dunton wrote in his confession, according to court papers released Tuesday.

"I never Thought Ill see this day were my life is shattered and I have shatterd [sic] a young boys life as well."

Dunton was indicted Tuesday on charges of attempted murder, reckless endangerment, assault and criminal possession of a weapon. Dunton's lawyer did not immediately return a request for comment.

Police tracked down Dunton to his mother's apartment in the Bronx the day after the shooting and arrested him after a 45-minute negotiation.

“I aint goin to jail reather (sic) take my life!" Dunton reportedly posted to his Facebook page while police were outside his door.

He is due back in Manhattan Supreme Court on Dec. 3.

Cory Dunton Statement