Quantcast

DNAinfo has closed.
Click here to read a message from our Founder and CEO

Lou Reed Leaves West Village and Hamptons Homes to Laurie Anderson

By James Fanelli | November 4, 2013 4:44pm
 Legendary musician Lou Reed died Oct. 27, 2013. In his will, he left his West Village coop and East Hampton summer home to his wife, Laurie Anderson.
Lou Reed Leaves Estate to Wife and Sister
View Full Caption

WEST VILLAGE — Lou Reed didn’t walk on the wild side when it came to planning his estate.

The rock-and-roll pioneer who died Oct. 27 offered no surprises in his will, leaving everything to the three women in his life — his wife, his sister and his 93-year-old mom.

In a will filed Monday in Manhattan Surrogate’s Court, the Velvet Underground legend left his artist wife, Laurie Anderson, their West Village coop and East Hampton summer home.

A onetime staple at Andy Warhol’s factory in the 1960s, Reed also bequeathed Anderson all his art, pictures, jewelry, clothing, person effects, automobiles and boats, according to the will. He also passed along his interest in Sister Ray Enterprises, the company that holds the rights to his songs.

Reed, who had no children, also instructed his executor to give $500,000 to his sister, Margaret Reed Weiner, but encouraged his sibling to look out for their mom.

“It is my hope and desire, without imposing any legal obligation, that my said sister will use a portion of this cash bequest to help care for our mother, Toby Reed, for the balance of her life,” Reed said in his will.

Reed Weiner also received 25 percent of her brother’s residuary estate while Anderson got the other 75 percent. The will does not specify the value of Reed’s estate, but says it is worth more than $500,000. 

The “Heroin” songwriter named his longtime business managers, David and Robert Gotterer, as his executors. He instructed them in the will to collect royalties on his music and protect his copyrights.

Reed died at 71 from liver disease on Oct. 27 at his East Hampton house.