QUEENS — Three brazen burglars broke into at least four homes in Queens in a prolific break-in spree earlier this summer, stealing valuables that included a Louis Vuitton handbag and an Xbox gaming system, DA Richard Brown announced Monday.
The men — James Jenkins, 29, and Calvin Covington, 45, of Coney Island, and Jonathan Rios, 21, of Bushwick — have been charged with burglary, attempted burglary, criminal possession of stolen property and criminal trespass, among other charges.
“The defendants are accused of brazenly committing a rash of residential burglaries across a wide swath of Queens County,” said Brown in a statement.
On numerous occasions knocked on prospective victims' doors, jiggled the knobs, rang the doorbells and walked around houses looking into windows and checking if anyone was home, according to the DA's office.
In the first incident on July 10, the men allegedly broke into in a Flushing home and stole a number of items, including a $7,500 Louis Vuitton handbag.
Six days later, they allegedly broke into a Ridgewood home, stealing an Xbox gaming system, some games and a credit card.
Then on July 19, they were spotted by cops knocking on the door of a home in Woodhaven. The owners were home, so the men took off and drove away.
But later, they allegedly broke into another home in the neighborhood and stole four laptops, a watch and cash.
On July 22, the men were seen again around houses in Woodhaven, South Ozone Park and Jamaica. They stole money from one of them, cops said.
Cops picked up the suspects that day and found numerous items the men allegedly stole, including a Louis Vuitton handbag, several watches and a Xbox gaming system.
Police also found a number of tools used during break-ins, including screwdrivers, bent hangers and several pairs of gloves.
If convicted, each of the men faces up to 15 years in prison.
Jenkins and Rios are due back in court in November. Covington is scheduled to be arraigned on Sept. 4.