The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Stabbed to Death in Crown Heights

By  Claire Cameron and Jess Wisloski | August 4, 2013 10:59am | Updated on August 4, 2013 3:05pm

 A man was stabbed to death early Sunday on Franklin Avenue in Crown Heights.
A man was stabbed to death early Sunday on Franklin Avenue in Crown Heights.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Claire Cameron

CROWN HEIGHTS — A man was found dead on a Brooklyn street with multiple stab wounds Sunday morning, cops said.

Police responding to a 911 call found the body of a 27-year-old man at 2:04 a.m. laying in the roadway of Franklin Avenue near Eastern Parkway, police said. He was rushed to Kings County Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival.

A local resident who returned to the scene mid-morning said he'd been there when it happened, but had thought the victim had just been punched, until he saw the blood and police.

"It was a fight, it was four people fighting," said Mike Sandose, 52. "They had gotten into a fight and one thing led to another. It happened very fast."

After the assault, "he went down, then the others started off running, chasing the guy," said Sandose, speaking of the attacker. 

Police taped off a large area on Sunday from the parkway to Lincoln Place, and were investigating a four-story apartment building at 358 Eastern Parkway, residents said.

"They're not telling us anything, but we've been told not to touch any of the doors," said Meredith Truax, 23, who lives in the building. "They're dusting for fingerprints."

Modesto Baa, 52, the owner of grocery Quisqueria said it was a surprise to see such violence in the area of his shop, which he's had for 24 years. 

"In the 80's it was crazy here, but the block's been changing an awful lot, especially recently," said Baa. "This sort of thing doesn't happen so much anymore, but you still see it."

And Howard Johnson, 62, a 20-year resident, said he was also taken aback to see such bloodshed in the now gentrified area. "I'm kind of shocked. There has been...a greater police presence for the past year I'd say."

"It's bad timing," he added, worrying for the one of the borough's biggest events just weeks away. "We have the West Indian festival coming up and people might get put off coming."

Detectives were investigating the scene on Sunday, but had made no arrests. The man's identity had not been released, pending family notification.