The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

8-Year-Old, Woman From Bloomberg's Hometown Among Dead in Marathon Attacks

By  Jill Colvin Victoria Bekiempis and James Fanelli | April 15, 2013 9:34pm | Updated on April 15, 2013 10:57pm

NEW YORK CITY — An 8-year-old boy and a 29-year-old woman from Mayor Bloomberg's hometown have been identified as two of the three victims killed in the Boston Marathon bombings.

The blasts, within 12 seconds of each other and less than 100 yards apart, blew out storefront windows on Monday afternoon and sprayed shrapnel into jam-packed streets along the race's route, injuring more than 170 people. The terror attack left a bloody trail of victims as emergency responders scrambled to provide CPR and apply tourniquets to mangled limbs.

Martin Richard, 8, was watching the marathon near the finish line when he was killled in the explosion, according to the Boston Globe. The Dorchester, Mass., boy's mother and sister were also injured in the bombings, according to the Boston Globe.

Krystle Campbell, 29, was identified on Tuesday as another victim killed in the blast, according to Yahoo! News. Campbell was from Medford, Mass., where Bloomberg grew up.

Meanwhile, Boston Children's Hospital said it had treated 10 people, including six children. The child victims ranged in age from 2 to 14. All seven

One patient, a 9-year-old girl with leg trauma, was in the operating room, the hospital said. A 2-year-old boy had also been admitted to the hospital's medical/surgical intensive care unit.

In an evening press conference, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said the number of dead had risen from two to three with more than 100 injured.

"This was a very powerful blast. There was serious, serious injuries," Davis said.

It was not known if any New Yorkers were among the injured.

Massachusetts General Hospital surgeon Peter Fagenholz said the hospital was treating 29 patients, all over the age of 18, including eight who were in critical condition. The oldest he'd treated, he said, was 71.

The most severely injured, he said, had suffered from serious injuries to the lower extremities. Many others suffered from shrapnel wounds, especially to their lower lower bodies, caused by small, metal debris.

It was unclear, however, whether the metal had been placed in the explosive devices intentionally, or had simply been sent flying by the blast, he said.

The hospital performed several amputations and Fagenholz said some would require repeated operations to treat combined bone, soft tissue and vascular injuries.

At least one had suffered from a shattered ear drum, he said.

“It’s just depressing that it's intentional,” he said. “I can’t say I’ve ever seen this volume of patients come this quickly with this type of injury."

At Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dr. Ron Wall, chair of the emergency department, said the hospital had treated 31 patients, aged 16 to 62, including two who remained in critical condition.

He said that nine had been recently operated on and that two were in very serious condition,  including one with a "limb-threatening" injury. Lower-level injuries including conditions like ruptured ear drums from the blast.

Wall said that patients at the hospital had shrapnel injuries as well, but that it appeared as though the injuries were caused by flying debris.

Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center treated 21 people with seven critical.

Tufts Medical Center said five of its nine patients had to undergo surgery.

The "injuries are significant but not life threatening," a spokesman said. "Four of the surgical cases were serious orthopedic and neuromuscular trauma to the lower leg with open fractures. Some others have shrapnel wounds and ruptured eardrums."