FLATBUSH — A 39-year-old man died early Saturday after setting his own apartment ablaze while smoking, reports said.
The victim was found covered in burns in his second-floor apartment on Ocean Avenue at 12:30 a.m. Saturday morning, officials said, and had suffered severe trauma.
The man was rushed to Kings County Hospital where he was declared dead, police said.
Fire officials determined the blaze at 1360 Ocean Ave. to be non-suspicious, and the NY Daily News reported that investigators thought the man's mattress caught fire by a lit cigarette as he was smoking in bed.
Police said an investigation was ongoing.