The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

How to File a Claim With FEMA

By Irene Plagianos | October 30, 2012 4:32pm

NEW YORK CITY — As the city is reeling from Hurricane Sandy, help from the federal goverment is on the way.

President Obama on Tuesday signed off on major federal disaster relief funds for New York City and New Jersey.

Anyone affected by Sandy, including homeowners, renters, and businesses, can call the Federal Emergency Managment Agency (FEMA) at 800-621-3362 (FEMA) or visit www.disasterassistance.gov to register for federal disaster assistance.

Help from FEMA includes grants for home repairs, temporary housing and low-interest loans for residential losses. Small business owners can also apply for grants for property damage.

Before you call, make sure to have the following information ready:

► Address of affected property

► Multiple phone numbers to reach you

► Insurance information

► Social security number

Plus, keep photos of damage and receipts from disaster-related expenses if you have them available.