The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Ex-Con Accused of Killing Cop and Brooklyn Motorist Charged with Murder

By  Joe Parziale Aidan Gardiner and Murray Weiss | October 25, 2012 1:46pm | Updated on October 25, 2012 3:04pm

NASSAU COUNTY — The ex-con accused of gunning down a Long Island cop and a Brooklyn motorist was charged Thursday with murder in a Nassau County courthouse.

Hundreds of uniformed police officers stood in solidarity in the criminal court in Mineola for the arraignment of Darrell Fuller, who was charged with two counts of murder, robbery, possession of a weapon and violating his parole.

“As the court knows, these charges are the most serious there are in New York State,” said Assistant District Attorney Mitchell Benson during the arraignment.  

Fuller was held without bail.

Fuller, who faces life in prison, is due back in court Monday.

The arraignment occurred as authorities arrested a second man, Gerald Williams, who owns the 2000 Nissan Altima where cops eventually captured Fuller — and in which the Ruger 9MM semi-automatic handgun believed to be used in the double homicide was recovered, the Queens District Attorney said.

 Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice after the arraignment for Darrell Fuller, who is accused of killing a police officer and a motorist.
Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice after the arraignment for Darrell Fuller, who is accused of killing a police officer and a motorist.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Joseph Parziale

Authorities also said they recovered a Tec 9.

Williams, 27, was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon. It was his girlfriend, sources said, who loaned Fuller the vehicle when he was on the run.

Arthur Lopez, 29, an emergency services unit police officer, and his partner, believed Fuller was fleeing an accident Tuesday morning and pulled him over on the Cross Island Parkway. Fuller is suspected of opening fire on Lopez during the traffic stop and fleeing.

The cop later died from his wounds.

A short distance away, Fuller is accused of pulling Raymond Facey, 52, from his car and shooting him while he was on the phone with his daughter. Fuller then fled in his vehicle.

"These were senseless deaths, and my thoughts and prayers continue to be with the families of these honorable men," Nassau County District Attorney Kathleen Rice said.

After a massive manhunt — which included hundreds of officers from the NYPD and Nassau County — cops caught up to Fuller a few hours later in the Altima in Queens. As cops closed in, Fuller shot himself in the chest in an apparent attempt at suicide.

He was arrested and transported to Jamaica Medical Center in stable condition. He was released into police custody Wednesday evening. 

Fuller served five years in prison for an attempted 2005 murder after he shot a man over a disputed parking space. He was currently on parole for a 2010 crack cocaine bust, for which he served about seven months.

Facey’s family, and the shooting victim who survived the 2005 attack, said Wednesday that Fuller never should’ve been back on the streets so soon after an attempted murder.

“This guy should never see the light of day again,” said James Carver, president of the Nassau County Police Benevolent Association, during a hastily organized press conference after Fuller’s arraignment. “We’re going to be asking the parole board why someone who shot someone else over a parking space should be allowed out of jail.”

A memorial for the slain Nassau County police officer will be held Thursday and Friday — from 2 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. on both days — in a Merrick fire station.