Police Shoot Man Who Allegedly Opened Fire on Them in East New York

By  Jess Wisloski and Jesse Lent | August 4, 2012 1:41pm | Updated on August 5, 2012 11:09am

A .32 caliber gun recovered from a robbery-shooting on Linden Boulevard on August 4, 2012.
A .32 caliber gun recovered from a robbery-shooting on Linden Boulevard on August 4, 2012.
View Full Caption

EAST NEW YORK — Police shot a gunman who allegedly opened fire on them in East New York early Saturday morning after the suspect shot another man during a mugging nearby.

Police from the 75th Precinct Anit-Crime Unit responded to 2520 Linden Blvd., outside Cypress Hills Grocery, and found a 28-year-old man who had been shot in the abdomen by two men looking for money, witnesses and cops said. 

Marian Elselmi, 34, owner of the grocery store, said Linden said the victim was followed into the shop by two men.

"The victim came [in front of the store] first, then two guys followed him," Elselmi said. "They were asking for him to give them a few bucks, then they pulled out a gun and shot him."

Then cops spotted 20-year-old Joseph Padilla fleeing the scene holding a gun and chased him to 2525 Linden Blvd., in the Cypress Hill Houses.

There, Padilla allegedy turned on the cops and fired his gun at them, police said.

But the officers shot back, striking Padilla once in the right leg, police said. The man's .32 caliber gun was recovered, police said, and another suspect, Corey Mazyck, 21, who had been seen with the alleged shooter at the robbery, was arrested nearby, police said.

Padilla, who was in stable condition at Brookdale Hospital on Saturday, and Mazyck, were charged with attempted murder, robbery and weapons possession.

The victim of the robbery was also taken to Brookdale Hospital, where he was listed in stable condition.

The cops involved in the chase, a sergeant and officer, were treated for minor injuries at Long Island Jewish Hospital. They were not hit by gunfire.

Edith Smalls, 43, daycare provider, her daughter Elena, 23, is dating the victim.

"There was a big commotion out here," said Smalls. "The whole building was shut off. No one could enter or leave." Smalls said she thought the fight was a personal beef between the shooter and the victim.