MANHATTAN — Independence Day and the Macy's Fireworks display means several road closures and on the west side and changes to public transit schedules.
* The northbound lanes of the West Side Highway from West 23rd Street to West 57th Street will be closed from 4:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. The southbound lanes of the West Side Highway will be closed from West 79th Street to West 42nd Street and from West 42nd Street to West 23rd Street from 4:30 p.m. to 1 a.m. Drivers can expect gridlock and delays near the closed roads.
* Viewers can access the Hudson River from 11th Avenue at the following locations: West 24th Street, West 26th Street, West 28th Street, West 29th Street, West 33rd Street, West 40th to 44th streets, West 47th Street, West 49th to 52nd streets and West 54th to West 57th streets. Access to these blocks will be closed once the nearby viewing areas fill up, the NYPD said.
* Subways and buses will run on a Saturday schedule, except for the 1, A, C, E, L, and 42nd Street Shuttle where service will be increased after the conclusion of the Macy's fireworks show, the MTA said.
* Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road will provide extra service in the early afternoon on Tuesday for New Yorkers heading out of town. Check www.mta.info for service and times.
* East River service on the New York Waterway ferry service will run on a normal weekday schedule from 9 a.m. to 8:45 p.m.
* The PATH train system will run on a Sunday schedule.
* NJ Transit trains will operate on a normal weekend schedule to and from Manhattan.