The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith Resigned After Domestic Dispute

By Ben Fractenberg | September 1, 2011 2:14pm
Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith resigned from city government after an alleged domestic dispute.
Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith resigned from city government after an alleged domestic dispute.
View Full Caption
Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

MANHATTAN — Former Deputy Mayor Stephen Goldsmith resigned days after being involved in a domestic dispute with his wife at their Washington DC home, a police report shows.  

The altercation allegedly happened on July 30 when Goldsmith, 64, and his wife, Margaret Goldsmith, 59, got into a verbal dispute, which escalated into the former deputy mayor shoving his wife into a counter, the report said.

He allegedly grabbed a phone out her hand and threw it to the ground when she tried to call police.

"I should have put a bullet through you years ago!" Margaret Goldsmith yelled at her husband, according to the Washington, DC, police report.

After breaking the phone, Goldsmith  "grabbed [Margaret] and refused to let her go," the document said.

Goldsmith spent two days in jail after the altercation, The New York Times reported.

Goldsmith resigned five days later with the mayor's office saying he was leaving to "pursue private-sector opportunities in infrastructure finance.”

The mayor's office declined to comment to The Times about what they knew when Goldsmith resigned.

At least one city official called for answers from the mayor's office.

"I am deeply troubled by the news that one of the mayor's highest-ranking aides resigned weeks ago after being arrested in a reported domestic violence incident, and spent two nights in jail — but we are only learning this today, said Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer in a statement.

"The Mayor and his staff should give a full accounting of what they knew and when they knew it.  'No comment' is not an acceptable response. "

Goldsmith served as deputy mayor for only 14 months. He was criticized during what people saw as the city's inadequate response to the blizzard last December.

Goldsmith downplayed the incident in a statement and said he resigned in order to not be a distraction for the mayor.

"Margaret and I agree that the facts have not been accurately portrayed," he said.

"Because according to the officers DC law required an arrest, one was made over the objection of my wife and no charges were ever filed

"Although Margaret under oath has affirmed the absence of violence and my actual innocence, I offered my resignation in order not to be a distraction to the mayor and his important agenda for the city."