Subway Inn Stays Open for One More Week
UPPER EAST SIDE — The Subway Inn will live — for at least another week.
A New York civil court judge issued a court order Monday temporarily blocking Subway Inn’s eviction pending a hearing with the bar's landlords on Aug. 27, according to court documents.
“It’s the first step in the fight, the fight will continue, slowly but surely,” said Steven Salinas, the bar owner's son.
The neon-lit bar, which has been operating from its 143 E. 60th street home for almost 80 years, recently launched a “Save Subway Inn Campaign” after its landlord, The World-Wide Group, refused to renew the lease and asked the Salinas family to vacate by Aug. 20.
The bar, known for its cheap beers and down-to-earth service, has been on a $20,000 yearly lease with a 30-day termination option for the past eight years, according to the Salinas family and The World-Wide Group.
From the time The World-Wide Group purchased the site in 2006 and agreed to allow the Salinas family to operate the bar, it was acknowledged "that a development was going to take place at the site," a spokesperson for the World-Wide Group said in a statement last week. No construction permit has been filed so far, public records show.
Steven Salinas, who has been helping his father with the bar for several years, said he believes the place is going to be torn down by a "wrecking ball" so luxury condos can be built instead.
Online, the Salinas family is trying to raise $10,000 to pay for their three lawyers as well as to spread the word about their situation by sending petitions to Mayor Bill de Blasio and other elected officials.
As of Tuesday afternoon, the bar had raised more than $2,200 and gathered almost 4,000 signatures, according to Steven Salinas who keeps a paper version of the petition at the bar.
“I feel very sad. I’ve worked here for 40 years, we can win this fight with your help. People are like a big family here,” said 60 year-old Subway Inn owner Arsemio Salinas at a press conference last week.