Move Out of Controversial Bronx Homeless Shelter Postponed

By Eddie Small on August 19, 2014 4:50pm 

 Families in the homeless shelter at 941 Intervale Ave. were relieved to hear they would not be moving out on Tuesday.
Families in the homeless shelter at 941 Intervale Ave. were relieved to hear they would not be moving out on Tuesday.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Eddie Small

LONGWOOD — The move for families living in the soon-to-close homeless shelter at 941 Intervale Ave. — which the operator suddenly decided to shutter — has been postponed.

Residents received a letter from the Department of Homeless Services on Monday, Aug. 18, saying they would have to move out the next day.

But on Tuesday morning, DHS First Deputy Commissioner Lorraine Stephens told them that the letter was sent in error.

“Nobody is being asked to move as of today,” she said. “No one is moving today."

The shelter's closing left families worried about where they'd wind up just weeks before school starts.

Residents had previously criticized the shelter for a host of problems including rat and roach infestations.

There is still no definite timeline for when residents will move out, but Stephens said she would hope to have some families ready by Friday, Aug. 22.

Residents, who held a small rally Tuesday, were overjoyed to hear that they would not have to move immediately.

“We’re relaxed,” said Tawana Little, who has lived in the shelter with her six children for about 14 months. “I’m appreciative that finally we fought for what it is we were looking for. We got what it is we were looking for.”

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement