Fatal Jackson Heights Fire Sparked by Burner on Stove, FDNY Says

By Katie Honan on August 12, 2014 2:23pm 

 Sophia Paz, 46, was found unconscious in her bedroom early Saturday, FDNY said.
Sophia Paz, 46, was found unconscious in her bedroom early Saturday, FDNY said.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Katie Honan

JACKSON HEIGHTS — An early-morning fire inside an apartment that killed a 46-year-old woman was sparked by a burner on the stove, according to the FDNY.

Firefighters responded at 85-10 34th Ave. around 3 a.m. Saturday and found Sophia Paz, 46, unconscious in the bedroom of her sixth-floor apartment, according to officials.

She was rushed to Elmhurst Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

Fire marshals determined Tuesday that the fire was sparked by a burner on the stove, with the flames spreading to other objects nearby.  

The FDNY tweeted out information about fire safety in the kitchen after announcing the fire cause, including ways to extinguish a stove fire. 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement