NEW YORK CITY — The city is shutting down the Brooklyn Bridge and surrounding streets Friday afternoon in advance of the Fourth of July fireworks display on the East River.
From the FDR Drive to the Brooklyn Bridge, there are plenty of places to watch the fireworks, but drivers should be prepared to avoid much of Lower Manhattan after 4 p.m. Friday, particularly near the South Street Seaport, police said.
Police urged New Yorkers to use public transportation.
Here's a list of which streets and stations will close down for July 4:
FDR Drive: At 4 p.m. Friday, both directions of the highway will be closed between the Battery Park Underpass and Houston Street. The road will reopen at 1 a.m. Saturday or whenever cleanup is complete.
South Street: Starting at 4 p.m. Friday, both directions of South Street will close from Montgomery to State streets. The street will reopen at 1 a.m. Saturday or whenever cleanup is done. South Street will also be closed between East Broadway and the FDR, police said.
Front Street: Both directions will close from Old Slip to Dover Street at 4 p.m. Friday. The road will reopen at 1 a.m. Saturday or whenever cleanup is complete.
Brooklyn Bridge: The bridge will close in both directions at 5 p.m. Friday, including walkways on the bridge. The bridge will reopen at 1 a.m. or whenever cleanup is done.
Police released an additional list of streets Friday that may be closed during the course of the evening at the NYPD's discretion:
Zone between the Brooklyn Bridge and Whitehall Street: All streets are subject to closure between Robert F. Wagner Sr. Place to the north, Whitehall Street to the south, Water Street/Pearl Street to the west, and South Street to the east, police said.
• State Street between Whitehall Street and Battery Place
• Battery Place between State Street and West Street
• West Street between Battery Place and West Thames Street
• Fulton Street between Water Street and Gold Street
• Gold Street between Fulton Street and Frankfort Street
• Frankfort Street between Gold Street and Pearl Street
• Avenue of the Finest between Pearl Street and Park Row
• South Street between Robert F. Wagner Sr. Place and Jackson Street
• Pike Slip/ Pike Street between South Street and Division Street
• Allen Street between Division Street and Canal Street
• Montgomery Street between South Street and Henry Street
• Pitt Street between Henry Street and Grand Street
• Area bounded by Grand Street on the North and Robert F. Wagner Sr. Place on the South
In Brooklyn, the following streets are subject to closure:
• Old Fulton Street, Cadman Plaza West, and Court Street between Henry Street and Joralemon Street
• Adams Street between Tillary Street and Joralemon Street
• Tillary Street between Prince Street and Cadman Plaza West
• Flatbush Avenue/Flatbush Avenue Extension between Tillary Street and Atlantic Avenue
• Joralemon Street between Henry Street and Adams Street
• Atlantic Avenue between Henry Street and Flatbush Avenue
• Columbia Street between Atlantic Avenue and Degraw Street
• Degraw Street between Columbia Street and Van Brunt Street
• Van Brunt Street between Degraw Street and Dead End
• Summit Street between VanBrunt Street and Imlay Street
• Imlay Street between Summit and Pioneer Street
• Pioneer Street between Van Brunt Street and Conover Street
• Conover Street between Pioneer Street and Dead End
• King Street between Conover Street and Ferries Street
• Ferries Street between Kings Street and Van Dyke Street
• Sullivan Street, Wolcott Street, Dikeman Street, Coffey Street and Van Dyke Street between Van Brunt Street and Dead End
• Beard Street and Reed Street between Conover Street and Van Brunt Street
Subway Service Changes
Subways will operate on a Saturday schedule on Friday.
R Train: There will be no service below Canal Street on Friday. Customers can use the Bowling Green (4/5 trains) or Fulton Street (2, 3, 4, 5, A or C trains) stations.
Increased Service: Service on the 5, A, C, F, N and Times Square Shuttle will be increased prior to and following the fireworks show.