Acid Spill Burns One Person at Bread and Roses High School
HARLEM — Students at Bread and Roses Integrated Arts High School were evacuated Friday morning after nitric acid spilled in the first floor hallway, causing burns to a staff member there.
Several bottles of chemicals were being removed from a classroom at the school at Edgecombe Avenue and 135th Street at roughly 8:30 a.m. when they spilled on a tile floor, said Marge Feinberg, a spokeswoman for the Department of Education.
It was not immediately clear why the chemicals were at the school.
The school's fire safety staffer suffered burns to his leg and was transported to Harlem Hospital for treatment.
The students were evacuated as a safety precaution, Feinberg said.
Roughly 250 students attend the school, which is being phased out because of poor performance. Students returned to class approximately three hours later. A damaged floor tile was immediately replaced.