Gov. Cuomo Asks For Funds to Buy Sandy Damaged Homes in Staten Island

By Nicholas Rizzi on May 2, 2014 11:17am | Updated on May 5, 2014 8:45am

 Gov. Andrew Cuomo requested federal funds to acquire 77 properties — 75 homes and two vacant properties — in New Dorp Beach and Midland Beach.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo requested federal funds to acquire 77 properties — 75 homes and two vacant properties — in New Dorp Beach and Midland Beach.
View Full Caption
Flickr/governorandrewcuomo

NEW DORP BEACH — Gov. Andrew Cuomo has asked for federal funds to buy 77 properties damaged by Hurricane Sandy in New Dorp Beach and Midland Beach.

Cuomo asked the U.S. Department of Agriculture for money through its Emergency Watershed Protection Program to acquire 75 homes and two vacant properties in the neighborhoods, the governor announced on Thursday.

 “New York State has made great progress in helping local communities recover from the effects of Superstorm Sandy, but there is still more work to be done,” Cuomo said in a statement.

“I am urging Washington to help us protect Staten Island communities by delivering the funding we need for these buyouts.”

Each of the properties chosen by the governor's office were significantly damaged or destroyed during the storm. The properties will be demolished and added to the adjacent wetlands in the neighborhood, similar to the buyout program, Cuomo said.

Both neighborhoods previously asked the state to be included in the buyout program, but the state announced last month that no more areas in the city would be added to it.

"I would like to thank the Cuomo administration for their recognition of how important it is to forever protect areas adjacent to our Bluebelt," Borough President James Oddo said in a statement.

"Bluebelts work and are necessary to help alleviate some of the flooding conditions that occur during even small rainstorms in flood prone areas."

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement