Bruson Building Fire Sparked by Overloaded Power Strip, FDNY Says
JACKSON HEIGHTS — A massive fire that destroyed offices and damaged many stores in Jackson Heights' Bruson Building was sparked by an overloaded power strip, according to the FDNY.
It's not immediately clear where the power strip was in the building on 37th Avenue, near 74th Street.
The massive blaze broke out at about 5:45 p.m. on April 21 and sent flames shooting out of the third and fourth floors of the building.
A source told DNAinfo New York the fire started on the third floor, where Plaza College was located.
Despite the damage, Department of Buildings officials said that the building was stable enough that it did not immediately have to be torn down.
A full vacate order was issued for the building, a DOB spokeswoman said, and the owner will continue to monitor it with an engineer.