Brother-in-Law of Prince Charles Dies in Gramercy Sidewalk Fall
MANHATTAN — Prince Charles’ brother-in-law died after falling and hitting his head early Wednesday morning in Gramercy, Camilla Parker Bowles, The Duchess of Cornwall, announced on her website.
Mark Shand, 62, a writer and advocate for protecting the endangered Asian elephant, was in New York for a charity auction at Sotheby’s Tuesday. He then went to a few after parties and fell while smoking a cigarette outside the Rose Bar, the New York Daily News reported.
“The Duchess, The Prince of Wales and all her family members are utterly devastated by this sudden and tragic loss,” read the statement on Bowles’ website ”Mark Shand was a man of extraordinary vitality, a tireless campaigner and conservationist whose incredible work through The Elephant Family and beyond remained his focus right up until his death.”
When emergency responders arrived at the bar, Shand was still alert and complained of a head injury, according to a police source.
He was taken to Bellevue Hospital where he later died.
Shand’s non-profit, Elephant Family, also expressed its grief on the organization’s website.
“Today we have lost the head of our family. Mark Shand was a true force for conservation. He was both a legend and inspiration and above all our great friend. We ask at this time that people’s thoughts are with his loved ones. We will miss him always."