MANHATTAN — The measles outbreak that hit The Bronx and Inwood last month has spread to the Lower East Side, the city Health Department commissioner said Tuesday.
There have been 25 new cases reported since February, including a dozen children and 13 adults, the DOH reported. Three of the new cases were discovered in the Lower East Side.
In February, 16 cases, including nine children, were reported uptown. Some of the adults in those cases claimed to have been vaccinated, but lacked the supporting records to prove it.
"I urge all New Yorkers to ensure all household members, including young children 12 months old and older, are vaccinated," Health Commissioner Mary T. Bassett said. "If you suspect you have measles, please call your medical provider before seeking medical attention to avoid exposing others to the measles virus. I strongly advise all urgent care centers, emergency departments, and clinics to educate your staff about measles and ensure that all patients who may have measles are immediately isolated."
Last year, 55 people were infected with the measles virus in Borough Park and Williamsburg.