Residential Building Planned for Site of Famed Rego Park Restaurant

By Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska on March 6, 2014 4:26pm 

 John Abbracciamento Restaurant closed on March 2, after 65 years.
John Abbracciamento Restaurant closed on March 2, after 65 years.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Ewa Kern-Jedrychowska

QUEENS — A developer filed plans with the Department of Buildings earlier this week to build a new seven-story residential building on the site where renowned Joe Abbracciamento Restaurant closed Sunday after more than six decades in business, documents show.

According to the application, filed Monday by Long Island City-based Criterion Group, the new building will offer almost 82,000 square feet of residential space, 120 apartments and 47 parking spaces.

The development, at 62-96 Woodhaven Blvd., as first reported by Brownstoner Queens, does not include any commercial space, according to the designs.

Kelly Magee, a spokeswoman for the DOB, said that the developer is in the initial stages of the project, and no permits have been issued for the plan as of yet.

The famous Italian eatery once served a host of influential politicians including John F. Kennedy and Rep. Geraldine Ferraro, but served its last meal Sunday after 65 years. The owners said they were retiring.

“The only thing that I can tell you right now is that I’m in the process of a closing,” John Abbracciamento, one of the owners, said Thursday morning.

The Criterion Group did not immediately return phone calls seeking comment.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement