75-Year-Old Woman Killed in Apartment Fire, Police Say
BROOKLYN — A 75-year-old woman died and another woman was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation after an East New York apartment caught fire Friday morning, police said.
The flames, which were caused by a candle, erupted about 2:45 a.m. inside the first-floor Bradford Street apartment, near New Lots Avenue, according to the NYPD.
The 75-year-old woman was taken to Brookdale Hospital, where she was pronounced dead, police said.
A 54-year-old woman in the apartment was also taken to the hospital and treated for smoke inhalation, the NYPD said.
Neither woman's identity was immediately released.
The medical examiner had not determined an exact cause of death Friday evening.