Myls Dobson's Dad Released From Jail to Attend Tortured Boy's Funeral

By Nicholas Rizzi and Ben Fractenberg  on January 16, 2014 3:07pm

Slideshow
 Myls Dobson's father, Okee Wade, was released from jail in southern New Jersey Thursday so he could attend his son's funeral.
Okee Wade Release
View Full Caption

NEW JERSEY — Myls Dobson's father will be able to attend his young son's funeral.

Okee Wade — whose 4-year-old son was allegedly starved and tortured by Wade's girlfriend Kryzie King while Wade was in jail — was set to be released from Atlantic County Jail in New Jersey Thursday after pleading guilty to racketeering charges. 

"I'm letting you out to go give your son a proper burial," Judge Michael Donio told Wade at Atlantic County court on Thursday.

Wade will be required to return to jail in 21 days, Donio said.

Wade, 37, who wore an orange jumpsuit and showed little emotion, expressed his gratitude to the judge. 

"Thank you sir, I appreciate it," Wade said as he exited the courtroom.

Wade had left Myls with King on Dec. 18, one day before he was arrested. The young boy was starved, beaten and burned by King in her luxury Midtown high-rise apartment, before he died on Jan. 8, according to the Manhattan District Attorney's criminal complaint.

Myls' body was picked up from the city medical examiner's office Wednesday evening by the Andrew Sorrentino of the Andrew Sorrentino Funeral Home in Sheepshead Bay, Brooklyn.

A viewing of the child will be held next Tuesday in Harlem at First Corinthian Baptist Church from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. The funeral will take place directly afterward from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m., with Rev. Al Sharpton set to deliver the eulogy.

Sorrentino, who was working closely with Myls' mother, Ashlee Dobson, and his paternal grandparents, said the family was discussing the possibility of burying the boy in his parents' native South Carolina.

"I wanted to help the family out," Sorrentino said of his involvement in the funeral arrangements. "This was an innocent child. He shouldn’t be left at the morgue. Everybody worked together. The mother made the arrangements. She wanted the child out of the morgue as soon as possible."

At his court hearing Thursday, Wade told the court he will be staying in Bed-Stuy before he is due to begin his minimum five-year jail sentence on Feb. 6.

Wade pleaded guilty to being a middleman in an Atlantic City-based fraud scheme between March and April 2011. Wade took money out of JP Morgan personal accounts, put the funds into a fake account and then wired the money to casinos.

Wade, who had been in and out of prison for about a decade, gained custody of Myls in 2011 after an Administration for Children's Services worker accused Myls' mother, Ashlee Dobson, of child neglect.

King was charged with assault and reckless endangerment last week. A grand jury indicted King on Wednesday, and those charges are expected to be unsealed during her next scheduled court appearance on Feb. 5.

With reporting by Trevor Kapp.

Neighborhood Sponsors

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement