Falafel Shop Fails 3 Health Inspections in 2 Weeks, Officials Say
KIPS BAY — It was a feast...of filth.
A Kips Bay falafel restaurant failed three inspections in a row this month, after Health Department inspectors found live roaches, filth flies and pesticides that were misused, city records show.
Falafel Feast, at 413 Second Ave., was initially shut down Jan. 6, when inspectors slapped it with 56 violation points for problems including roaches, flies, misuse of pesticides and food that was not protected from contamination, according to Health Department records.
During the inspection, the DOH found a can of King Pine Ant and Roach Killer under a sink, earning the restaurant violation points for using a prohibited residential pesticide in a food preparation space, the agency said.
"Pesticide use not in accordance with label or applicable laws," the Health Department wrote in its online report. "Prohibited chemical used/stored. Open bait station used."
The restaurant was inspected again on Jan. 10, but inspectors decided it should remain closed and issued another 20 violation points for similar issues, including roaches and flies, plus a failure to maintain the plumbing system, according to records.
The Health Department returned a third time on Jan. 14 but found that Falafel Feast was still plagued by roaches and flies, records show. Inspectors issued 37 violation points and ordered that the restaurant remain closed.
The eatery was gated as of Wednesday afternoon, and the phone number had been disconnected.
The restaurant, which had been open for about two years, offered quick-service Middle Eastern fare, including handmade falafel and chicken and lamb shawarma.