Man Electrocuted While Urinating on G Train Subway Tracks
BROOKLYN — A man was electrocuted Monday morning while urinating on the tracks near the Broadway G train stop, police and fire officials said.
Matthew Zeno, 30, and another man were walking north on the southbound side of the subway, near Union Avenue, when Zeno paused to urinate and inadvertantly contacted the third rail, according to the FDNY and NYPD.
A second man, who was not named by police, tried to help Zeno, but sustained an electric shock as well, police said.
Both were rushed to Woodhull Hospital, where Zeno died of cardiac arrest, officials said.
The second man was listed in serious but stable condition, an FDNY spokeswoman said.
Friends took to social media to mourn Zeno as kind and fun-loving.
"He was a good dude. Worked hard, good to his friends. Can't believe he's gone," Zac Haigh posted on Facebook.
Another man said he first met Zeno while doing relief work after Hurricane Sandy with Occupy Sandy.
"He was one of the most dedicated, hardest working occupiers during Hurricane Sandy," Damien Crisp posted on Facebook. "There is no way to speculate how much or how many he helped."
"Gotham City Lounge is so sad to say goodbye to one of our most loyal friends and customers. RIP Matt Zeno," the Lounge tweeted Monday.