MANHATTAN — Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly briefly called attention to another missing boy on Tuesday in the hopes that recent developments in the Etan Patz case could be useful in the search for Patrick Alford, who disappeared from his Brooklyn foster home in 2010.
Alford, who was featured in a story on DNAinfo.com New York earlier this month detailing unsolved missing child cases, was last seen taking out the trash in the Starrett City complex in East New York. He was 7 years old.
"This case is open and being actively investigated," Kelly said of Alford during a press conference where he discussed the arrest of Pedro Hernandez, who has confessed to killing 6-year-old Patz in 1979.
"We're hopeful the attention to the Etan Patz case may jolt someone's memory or may give us the opportunity to get more information coming in."
Kelly said police have received roughly 50 tips over the course of the investigation into Alford's disappearance, including one from someone who claimed to know who took Alford.
But none of those leads have produced any concrete information, he added.
"We've had multiple air and sea, scuba teams, searches being conducted," Kelly said. "We're not going to give up. We continue to actively investigate this case."
In April, Kelly announced that a $12,000 reward would be offered for any information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone involved in Alford’s disappearance.
Anyone with information should call 1-800-577-TIPS, WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or text their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577.