Fire Breaks Out at Washington Houses in East Harlem
By Ben Fractenberg and Nicole Bode
MANHATTAN — A fire broke out at an East Harlem public housing building Friday morning, officials said.
The FDNY got a call about the blaze in a building in the Washington Houses complex at 1955 Second Avenue near 101st Street at 8:47 a.m. Friday, and were on the scene within minutes, they said. The fire was under control by 9:15 a.m., a FDNY spokesman said.
The fire started on the sixth floor of the 14-story building, officials said. It was not immediately clear what started the fire, but neighbors believed it may have been sparked by an air conditioner.
Fire officials said one firefighter was taken to Mt. Sinai Medical Center with minor injuries.