Chelsea Diner Shooting Suspect Reportedly Busted by NBA JumboTron
By Nicole Bode
DNAinfo Senior Editor
MANHATTAN — The alleged shooter in the Chelsea diner murder was busted after he walked right into the shot of a JumboTron camera at an NBA game — wearing the same necklace he allegedly wore during the attack — police sources told the Daily News.
Earle Barranco, 24, was recognized on the screen by an acquaintance and arrested days later when he returned to watch the Charlotte Bobcats on Nov. 6 for a second time on at the Time Warner Cable Arena in North Carolina, where local police and FBI were waiting.
He’s scheduled for an extradition hearing in North Carolina on Tuesday afternoon, a spokeswoman for the local police department there said.
Barranco had been on the run since allegedly shooting 28-year-old Corey Scott in the face at the Good Stuff Diner in Chelsea on Oct. 23, police said.
Police reportedly believe the murder was sparked by a money dispute, and the Daily News reported that Barranco and Scott were formerly friends.