Quantcast

Kosciuszko Bridge to be Blown to Bits at End of September, Police Say

By Gwynne Hogan | September 8, 2017 12:09pm | Updated on September 10, 2017 5:09pm
 The central section of the Kosciuszko Bridge was lowered earlier this summer.
The central section of the Kosciuszko Bridge was lowered earlier this summer.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Gwynne Hogan

GREENPOINT — Tick, tick, boom.

Two old sections of the Kosciuszko Bridge are set to be blown to the ground on Sunday, Sept. 24, according to a tentative schedule released by 94th Precinct Captain Peter Rose.

The demolition will take place around 5 a.m. in order to minimize the impact on traffic and on industrial businesses in the area. Streets near the bridge will be cordoned off several hours after, according to a state official, who was not authorized to speak about the matter.

The debris will fall on 56th Road, Scott Avenue, Gardner Avenue, Thomas Street and Stewart Avenue, blocking those roadways for several hours.

"It's going to effect traffic in a very negative way for a long period of time after," said Rose, at a Wednesday night meeting of the 94th Precinct Community Council.

The planned July 26 lowering of the bridge's central span was rescheduled several times, and the Sept. 24 target date and is still subject to change because of weather and other factors, officials said. But crews are set on completing the implosion on a Sunday morning when traffic will be the most minimal, officials said.

The demolition comes at the end of the first stage of the $825 million construction of the new Kosciusko Bridge.

The first span of the new bridge was unveiled in April, allowing east- and westbound traffic to cross it. Once the full bridge is completed, it will only carry Queens-bound traffic.

A second span of bridge, slated for completion in 2020, will eventually carry westbound traffic and feature a broad pedestrian and cyclist pathway.