The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Private School Employee Arrested for Charging $25K to Corporate Card: NYPD

By Shaye Weaver | September 5, 2017 6:12pm
 The Hewitt School.
The Hewitt School.
View Full Caption
Facebook/Hewitt School

UPPER EAST SIDE — An employee of an all-girls private school with a history of credit card fraud used the school's corporate card to make nearly $25,000 in personal purchases, authorities said.

Eva Korolishin, 48, who worked as the executive assistant to the head of the Hewitt School, was given an American Express credit card for business-related expenses — but instead racked up $24,808 in unrelated charges between May 8 and Aug. 11, police said.

Police and prosecutors didn't have information about what she allegedly purchased with the card.

The school, located at 45 E. 75th St., received a call from a detective in Pennsylvania, where Korolishin is originally from, saying she had an open warrant for credit card fraud, spurring the investigation.

In that case, while working for Arcadia University in 2014, she charged nearly $12,000 in personal purchases to a business credit card given to her by the school, a report said

She also used a bad check to pay a $1,000 fee related to a DUI she received in 2014, but failed to show up to a violation hearing regarding the check, leading to a bench warrant issued for her arrest, according to the Bucks County DA's office. 

The Hewitt School reported Korolishin to police on Aug. 27, the NYPD said.

She was charged with grand larceny at her arraignment, with bail set at $5,000 cash or $10,000 bond, prosecutors said. As of Tuesday, she was in jail at Rikers Island.

Her attorney did not return a request for comment.

The Hewitt School, which teaches girls in kindergarten through 12th grade, declined to comment.

Other notable incidents in this week’s blotter from the 19th Precinct include:

Serial Duane Reade Shoplifter Arrested

A man was arrested for stealing roughly $1,227 in merchandise from a pair of Duane Reade stores on the Upper East Side, police said. 

Keith Charles, 42, went into the Duane Reade at 1279 Third Ave. on Aug. 7 around 1:30 p.m. and stuffed 30 umbrellas worth $549 into a suitcase before fleeing, police said.

Then, on Aug. 28, he went to the Duane Reade at 1191 Second Ave. around 1 a.m. and ran out with 12 boxes of Always feminine hygiene products worth $102, police said. Later that day, around 5:10 p.m., he returned to the 1279 Third Ave. store and took 30 pints of Häagen-Dazs chocolate ice cream pints worth $176 from the freezer before fleeing, police said.

He returned to the 1279 Third Ave. store one final time on Aug. 29 around 1:12 a.m., filling three bags with 16 boxes of Always pads worth $400, police said.

He was arrested on Aug. 30 and later charged with four counts of petit larceny and criminal possession of stolen property, authorities said. He plead guilty and was sentenced to a day custody program, according to prosecutors.

Teens Arrested for Stealing Package from Building Lobby

Two young teens were arrested for stealing a package from the lobby of an apartment building on East 78th Street between First and York avenues, police said.

A girl and a boy, both 15, removed the package containing one set of Airwick refills worth $20 and a package of sandpaper worth $10 from under the staircase inside the lobby sometime between 11:55 p.m. on Aug. 1 and 12:29 a.m. on Sept. 1, police said. Plainclothes officers were out patrolling the area when they saw the teens in the act, according to the NYPD. They were both charged with burglary, police said.

Man Steals High-End Bags from Barneys

A 44-year-old man was arrested after stealing three handbags from the Barneys store at 660 Madison Ave. on Aug 30, according to the NYPD. The man walked in around 3:06 p.m. and placed two Goyard clutch handbags worth $1,380 and one worth $2,070 into a bag lined with aluminum foil so they would not set off any alarms, police said. Security caught him around 4 p.m. as he tried to leave, police said. He was charged with grand larceny, criminal possession of burglary tools and criminal possession of stolen property, according to police.

Bike-Riding Attackers Break Man's Foot in Attempted Robbery

A 59-year-old man walking to the subway suffered a broken foot at the hands of two attackers on bikes who tried to rob him, police said. The male suspects got off their bikes and approached the victim in front of the 7-Eleven on Second Avenue and East 96th Street, saying, "give me what you got," police said. When the victim tried to run away, the attackers punched and kicked him, leaving him with a fractured foot. Police were unable to track down the suspects, who were described as in their 20s.

Mailbox 'Fishing'

A Queens woman dropped a check for about $68 into a U.S. Postal Service mailbox at the intersection of 70th Street and Park Avenue last week but it never made it to its destination, police said. Instead, Citibank alerted the victim that the check had been altered to $2,100 and cashed. Police were investigating the incident as another in a series of mailbox "fishing" scams that have plagued the area.

► Taxi Crash Road-Rage Assault

A taxi driver punched a fellow cabbie in the face after the two got into an accident in the taxi line in front of Penn Station on Aug. 29 around 7 p.m., police said. The victim told police that he drove to West 56th Street and Eighth Avenue, where the other cabbie got out of his car and punched him in the nose before speeding off. The victim followed the suspect to 87th Street and Park Avenue, where he called police. Officers found the cabbie and arrested him for assault, police said.

Police Arrest Panhandler Inside ATM vestibule

A panhandler who had been begging for money inside a Citibank ATM vestibule was arrested after ignoring employees' pleas to leave, according to police.

Citibank employees called police on Aug. 30 around 5 p.m., after the man showed up inside their ATM vestibule at 123 E. 86th St. and refused to leave, police said.

He had begged for money inside the lobby numerous times before and had been asked not to return, employees told police.

He was arrested and charged with criminal trespass and aggressive panhandling, according to the NYPD.