Quantcast

DNAinfo has closed.
Click here to read a message from our Founder and CEO

Washington Heights Building Evacuated After Spike in CO Levels, FDNY Says

WASHINGTON HEIGHTS — Dozens of residents were evacuated from an Uptown apartment building Friday when carbon monoxide readings spiked to dangerous levels following a nearby manhole fire, officials said. 

Approximately 81 people were ushered from more than 70 apartments at 320 Wadsworth Ave. near 189th Street, where firefighters responded to reports of a manhole fire around 9:30 a.m., according to the FDNY and Con Edison. No injuries were reported.

Carbon monoxide levels in the building reached as high as 200 parts per million, a Con Edison spokesman said. It was unclear if the smoking manhole caused the spike, or if the two incidents are unrelated. 

Both FDNY and Con Edison crews remained on the scene, and residents had still not been allowed back in the building as of early Friday afternoon. 

The fire department was using large fans to help air the building out, a spokesman said.