Quantcast

DNAinfo has closed.
Click here to read a message from our Founder and CEO

Basketball Court, Movie Theater Included in E. 92nd St. Megamansion Plans

By Shaye Weaver | August 16, 2017 5:17pm
 Renderings of the megamansion's proposed rear facade.
Renderings of the megamansion's proposed rear facade.
View Full Caption
Landmarks Preservation Commssion

CARNEGIE HILL — Eat your heart out, Robin Leach.

A plan to combine a pair East 92nd Street townhouses to create a megamansion that would include a basketball court, movie theater, sauna, gym and "yoga pavilion" got the go ahead from city officials.

On Tuesday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission unanimously approved the owner's request to combine the two five-floor townhomes at 53 and 55 East 92nd St. in order to construct a six-story, single-family home just over a block from Central Park.

The buildings are owned by Matthew Harris, a partner at the investment fund Global Infrastructure Partners.

If given final Department of Buildings approval, the project would also include digging two stories below the home and backyard garden to accommodate the basketball court, a movie theater with a popcorn station, a dog shower, and space for yoga and exercise, records show.

Courtesy of the Landmarks Preservation Commission

The plans would also add four windows on each floor stretching across the entire back of the home.

The two buildings will rise about 7 feet higher with a rooftop addition that members of Community Board 8 called "discreet" in approving the plans during its July 17 landmarks committee meeting.

In giving the green light, the LPC stipulated that the backyard excavation be set back 5 feet from the property line to make room for trees and that the rear of the property maintain a "historic separation of the houses" in its look.

Otherwise, members agreed that the new mansion would fit with the character of the neighborhood, which sits within the Carnegie Hill Historic District.

The townhouse at 55 E. 92nd St. was originally built in 1893 and 53 E. 92nd St. was built in 1920. Both were altered in 1946 with the removal of their stoops and some facade changes, according to the LPC.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Courtesy of the Landmarks Preservation Commission.