Quantcast

DNAinfo has closed.
Click here to read a message from our Founder and CEO

Amish Market Staff in 'Happy Mood' After Reopening Thursday, Director Says

 Amish Market workers Michael Jording, Jamal Micah and Umit Tacettin (l-r) stand together after the West Broadway market reopened Thursday following carbon monoxide leak that injured 32 workers.
Amish Market workers Michael Jording, Jamal Micah and Umit Tacettin (l-r) stand together after the West Broadway market reopened Thursday following carbon monoxide leak that injured 32 workers.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Ben Fractenberg

TRIBECA — Amish Market director Michael Jording said he’s never seen his staff “come into work in such a happy mood as today,” after the store reopened Thursday morning following a carbon monoxide leak that hospitalized 32 workers.  

The 65-year-old manager, who pulled six workers from the basement Tuesday after they passed out from the odorless fumes, told DNAinfo New York that the store was completely open on Thursday and safe for customers to stop by.

“I’m just happy to be alive, just happy to be back at work,” added Jording, who has also been battling leukemia. “Many customers came by and praised their support. We are there to support them.”

All the workers except one person are out of the hospital and feeling OK, the director said, and he expects everyone to make a full recovery.

The West Broadway market was bustling during lunchtime Thursday. Local workers picked up food and chatted with employees.

Umit Tacettin was also back at work after he ran down to the basement to help Jording pull people out and passed out himself.

The 37-year-old manager said he remembers trying to help someone out when he started to feel dizzy.

“I was so disoriented. It was really bad,” he told DNAinfo. “[Jording] helped me out.”

The manager said he and Jording did not think about their personal safety because all the workers are like family.

“I see people on the floor. The only thing you can do is help them out,” Tacettin said. “I didn’t realize it was carbon monoxide until it was too late.”

But the manager added that he too was happy to be back Thursday.

“I’m pretty good,” Tacettin said. “It’s hectic, but we missed it.”