EAST WILLIAMSBURG — A plumber's soldering torch sparked a massive fire inside a Manhattan Avenue bodega Thursday evening that spread to the second floor and sent four firefighters to the hospital with minor injuries, officials said.
The blaze broke out at Lantigua's Deli Market, a neighborhood bodega at 92 Manhattan Ave. just after 6 p.m., fire officials said.
One hundred and six firefighters battled the flames as they spread to the first and second floor, according to the FDNY.
The fire was brought under control at 7:35 p.m. and four firefighters had to be taken to Methodist Hospital for minor injuries, officials said.
Fire marshals later determined the fire was sparked by a torch, used to solder plumbing pipes together, according to the FDNY.
The torch was being used legally, according to the FDNY, but a Department of Buildings spokesman Andrew Rudansky confirmed there were no active construction permits at 92 Manhattan Ave. and said they had not been called to inspect the building.
The fire came a few hours after 14-year veteran firefighter William Tolley, 42, fell five stories to his death while fighting a Ridgewood blaze.
Per #FDNY Fire Marshals: Cause of 4/20 2-alarm fire, 92 Manhattan Ave BK was accidental, legal use of torch. Smoke alarm present, functional— FDNY (@FDNY) April 21, 2017