UPPER EAST SIDE — Part of the FDR Drive will be closed to traffic in both directions for four nights beginning this weekend, the Department of Transportation said.
The roughly two mile stretch of highway between 61st and 96th streets will be closed in order to perform construction on Rockefeller University above the roadway, the DOT said.
The closures will begin each night at about 11 p.m. when a single lane will be closed in each direction. Then at around 11:30 p.m., a second lane will be closed in each direction until the full closure is implemented.
The full schedule for closure is:
• Sunday, Aug. 14 from 1:30 a.m. to 7 a.m.
• Monday, Aug. 15 from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
• Tuesday, Aug. 16 from 12:30 a.m. to 5 a.m.
• Wednesday, Aug. 17 from 12:30 a.m. to 5 a.m.
The DOT recommends the following detours:
• Southbound traffic will exit at 96th Street and use Second Avenue to 42nd Street where it can re-enter the FDR Drive.
• During the closures the southbound entrance ramps at Third Avenue Bridge, 125th Street, 116th Street, 92nd Street, 79th Street and 73rd Street will be closed.
• Northbound traffic will exit at 61st Street, be directed to First Avenue, and follow detour signs to 96th Street to re-enter the FDR Drive.
• During the closures the northbound entrance ramps at 34th, 42nd, and 62nd streets will be closed.
• The southbound FDR Drive 34th Street exit will be closed.
• All lanes will reopen by 5:30 a.m. on weekdays, 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. on Sunday.
More closures are expected throughout August as construction at the university continues, the DOT said.