The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Kanye West Fans Mob Webster Hall After Rumors of Pop-Up Concert

By  Nicole Bode Aidan Gardiner and Aliza Chasan | June 6, 2016 8:48am | Updated on June 6, 2016 9:51am



A photo posted by 2 Chainz Aka Tity Boi (@hairweavekiller) on

EAST VILLAGE — Kanye West fans mobbed the streets outside Webster Hall before dawn Monday after frenzied rumors of a pop-up concert spread on social media — but all they caught was a glimpse of Yeezy popping out of his van's sunroof to wave after the concert was shut down.

West, who was slated to headline the Governors Ball Sunday before the shows were shut down due to rain, hinted at a rescheduled 2 a.m. show in collaboration with Hot 97's Summer Jam, according to reports and social media posts.

Fans rushed to Webster Hall, urged on by posts by other Summer Jam performers including 2 Chainz, who tweeted out a photo of Kanye backstage at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, Sunday night.

But as the crowds filled up Webster Hall, spilling out into the streets and sidewalks in front of the venue at 11th Street and Third Avenue, organizers pulled the plug, telling them the 2 a.m. concert had been shut down.

Still, the crowds stayed put, clambering onto neighboring cars and awnings to try to catch a glimpse of Kanye, who eventually drove through the block, popping up through the sunroof to wave. 

"There were people just packed everywhere. We started on the sidewalks, but then we moved onto the street. It was chaos — pushing and screaming," said Max Collins, 28, who lives around the corner and saw people standing on car roofs, garbage cans and the scaffolding of Amsterdam Billiards and Bars,

"It looked like it was going to spill over and get violent, but it never quite did. Police sirens started and that made people realize there wasn't going to be a show. People were chanting what the f--k when they realized there wasn't going to be a show.

"It was on the verge of spiraling over."

The rumors of a concert continued until after 3 a.m., when Kanye's clothing line, Donda, tweeted out that there would be a replacement show at Trump SoHo at Spring Street. But that one didn't happen either.

Police said they made one arrest during the ruckus outside Webster Hall — a 26-year-old woman at 3:19 a.m. in front of the venue for blocking the street and refusing to disperse.

"Thanks to everyone. We tried pop up shows at 3 places. All shut down," Kanye producer Mike Dean wrote on Twitter. "We made history tonight. Pablo mob."

Neighbors who woke up to find their cars had been used as bleachers overnight were not amused.

"I thought it was going to be a quiet evening, a quiet day, and it was going to be safe," said optician Michael Gomez, 55, who parked his Chrysler and Impala in front of Webster Hall, and came back to find both had dents in the roofs and vomit on the ground nearby.

He estimated it will cost him thousands to fix his cars and says he cannot afford to make the repairs.

"I'm in shock. I'm stunned. I know I'm never going to park here again."

Michael Gomez