CIVIC CENTER — Investigators are planning 20 more gang takedowns by early summer, NYPD officials said Thursday.
Police and federal authorities have been focusing on breaking up violent crews this year, including charging more than 120 people in the largest gang bust in city history in April. There will be six more busts in May and 20 in June, NYPD leaders said during a press conference at One Police Plaza.
“We wanted to set the tone through these takedowns just before the summer when violence traditionally spikes,” Chief of Department James O’Neill said. “To send a message that violence will not be tolerated in this city.”
NYPD list of recent gang takedowns, including "Operation Stoppin' The Poppin'". pic.twitter.com/FWi4ikxEny— Ben Fractenberg (@fractenberg) May 12, 2016
Other recent investigations included the arrests of more than a dozen men in the Mott Haven Beekman Houses for narcotics and firearms trafficking.
So far this year 219 gang members have been arrested, according to police.
“If you are a violent offender, we know who you are," O'Neill said. "If you choose to commit a crime we will arrest you and ensure that you are prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law.”