BUSHWICK — The roaring blaze that destroyed four apartment buildings leaving dozens homeless on Dekalb Avenue was sparked by one of the building's electrical wiring, fire marshals said Thursday.
Electrical wires in the back of the church on the ground floor at 1427 Dekalb Ave. malfunctioned just before 10 p.m. on March 29, fire officials said.
Fire in bushwick pic.twitter.com/niuAaWbhiq— Diego Lopez (@lowpezdiego) March 30, 2016
Fire marshals conducted their investigation alongside workers who hand to demolish the remains of the building by hand, according to City Councilman Rafael Espinal's office, who represents the district.
FDNY officials announced their findings Thursday on Twitter.
The Daily News first reported the marshal's findings.
The building's owner Rafael Estrada, couldn't be reached immediately. The building had no open buildings violations before it burned down, according to records.
But their investigation offered little solace Bushwick residents thrust from their homes overnight. Franklin Montero, 46, said he's still living in a hotel in Long Island City with some of his roommates who were also displaced.
"I'm stressed, I've fallen into a depression," Montero said in Spanish. "I've lost everything, everything, everything."