BEDFORD-STUYVESANT — A nursing home operator hoping to turn a Bedford-Stuyvesant health care facility into residential apartments is under investigation by State Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, according to sources.
Allure Group, the operator under scrutiny for a deal that resulted in the sale of a Lower East Side nursing home to condominium developers, is subject to another probe in Brooklyn, sources said. The investigation was first reported by the Daily News.
Schneiderman issued subpoenas Wednesday to look into whether the group misled health officials about its plans to convert the Bed-Stuy nursing home into apartments, according to the newspaper.
NNRC Properties LLC bought the property at 270 Nostrand Ave. and DeKalb Avenue from CABS Nursing Home Company, Inc. for $15.6 million in June 2015, records show.
Joel Landau, managing member of NNRC LLC, submitted an application to the state’s Department of Health in 2013, requesting a transfer of ownership of the facility, according to DOH.
Landau is an executive with the Allure Group, according to reports.
The application detailed the steps the owner would take to continue operations as a nursing home, the state agency said, and received final approval from the agency’s Public Health & Health Planning Council in February 2015.
The ownership transfer to NNRC LLC was completed in July 2015, according to DOH.
Two months later, a demolition application was filed for the Nostrand Center for Nursing and Rehabilitation building from another LLC, city records show.
Plans detailed a new seven-story residential building with 241-units and indoor parking.
In December, days after the city approved plans for a new building, the nursing home notified DOH that they intended to close, the agency said.
DOH approved the closure plan this February.
The closure plan covers aspects of operations such as resident discharges and transfers, preserving and storing medical records, and more, according to DOH. The agency’s review doesn’t consider or govern what an owner can do with the building after the residents have left and operations have ceased.
As of Friday, a partial stop work order was in effect at the property.
A full stop work order was served earlier in the week, detailing that the Brooklyn Borough Commissioner issued “an intent to revoke approval and permit” for recent applications on the property.
Representatives for the Allure Group did not immediately respond to a request for comment.