MIDTOWN — A fire broke out in Grand Central Terminal's Junior's Restaurant Tuesday afternoon, filling the air around the station with a thick cloud of smoke, witnesses and officials said.
Flames erupted in the ducts of the eatery on the lower level of the the 42nd Street terminal minutes after 2 p.m., an FDNY spokesman said.
Grand central fire midtown NYC pic.twitter.com/H1FszpWQid— Jess Bahr (@JessaBahr) March 22, 2016
"There was a fire in the kitchen. We could see smoke," said Randai Cederquist, 47, who was waiting to buy a cheesecake from Junior's after traveling in from Denmark.
"It's our first day here!" Cederquist added.
The fire was extinguished as of 2:27 and there were no reported injuries, an FDNY spokesman said.
Pools of water collected outside the restaurant as firefighters investigated the scene after the fire was put out. Some tables still had food on them.