BROOKLYN — A man known as "Son of Sal" who killed three Brooklyn shopkeepers in 2012 has been convicted of murder.
Salvatore Perrone, 67, of Sunnyside, Staten Island, was convicted of murder for shooting three people during the summer and fall of 2012, using the same rifle for all the killings, District Attorney Ken Thompson said.
"A mountain of evidence connected this serial killer to these murders, which took the lives of three decent, honest and hard-working business owners who all left behind devastated families," Thompson said in a statement released after the conviction Wednesday.
"Thankfully, this ruthless and cold-blooded killer will now spend the rest of his life locked behind bars and Brooklyn will be much safer because of that."
Perrone's killings started July 6, 2012, when he shot Mohamed Gebeli, 65, in the neck while inside the victim's store, Valentino Fashion, in Bay Ridge, the DA said.
He then shot and stabbed Isaac Kadare, 59, inside his Bensonhurst store Aug. 2, 2012 and shot Rahmatollah Vahidipour, 78, inside a Flatbush store Nov. 16, 2012, Thompson said.
Assistant District Attorney Melissa Carvajal said in court that Perrone previously owned a successful Brooklyn clothing store, but it closed down and he went broke the year of the murders, the Staten Island Advance reported.
"Maybe he blamed these storeowners for his demise," she said in court, according to the paper. "They were the reason for his rags-to-riches story."
Perrone was arrested Nov. 20, 2012, after a tipster recognized him from surveillance footage.
He faces up to 75 years to life in prison for the murders and is scheduled to be sentenced March 4.