The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Teen Partied in Times Square After Killing Mom and Stepdad, Sources Say

By  Murray Weiss and Aidan Gardiner | January 4, 2016 8:06am 

 Rosie Sanchez and Anderson Nunez were killed by Sanchez's 15-year-old daughter inside the Sheepshead Bay houses, police said.
Sheepshead Bay Shooting
View Full Caption

SHEEPSHEAD BAY —  A 15-year-old Brooklyn girl, who confessed to fatally shooting her allegedly abusive mother and her stepfather, partied on New Year's Eve while their bodies lay undiscovered in the family apartment, police and sources said Monday.

The teen, Destiny Garcia, told investigators that a family friend, who she described as a cousin, got her a .380 automatic pistol on Dec. 27 because she was dealing with some problems at home, sources said.

She brought it back to her family's fifth-floor apartment in the Sheepshead Bay Houses at 2364 Batchelder St., near Avenue X, and shot Rosie Sanchez, 39, in the ear as she sat in a bedroom chair, police and prosecutors said. Sanchez was also stabbed, according to an autopsy report.

The unidentified family friend, who is still at large, then shot stepdad Anderson Nunez, 40, in the arm after he raced in the room to intervene, authorities said. He was also stabbed multiple times, according to the Medical Examiner.

Garcia and the cousin then fled the scene, police said.

Sources initially had said the teenager claimed her stepdad had once tried to molest her, but Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce said the teen's only complaint was against her mother.

Either way, investigators are not buying the girl's story of abuse.

The bodies lay in the apartment for days while Garcia partied in Times Square for New Year's Eve and crashed with her biological father, whom she told she'd had an argument with Sanchez, sources said.

Family hadn't heard from Sanchez or Nunez in a couple days so they called police who went to the home and found their bodies, sources said.

Sanchez and Nunez, who was also stabbed, were pronounced dead at the scene, police said.

Investigators contacted the biological father and tracked down the girl using her phone, sources said.

After being questioned at the 72nd Precinct with her biological father, she was charged with murder and weapons possession, sources said.