EAST VILLAGE — A Dallas BBQ restaurant just steps from the site of a massive East Village gas explosion was closed Tuesday after Con Ed found multiple gas leaks in its building.
The utility provider cut off service Monday, forcing residents of the building — located on the corner of St. Marks Place and Second Avenue — to go without hot water and cooking gas and shutting down the barbecue joint.
The Dallas BBQ posted a sign saying it was undergoing “emergency repairs.” The company confirmed the closure on its Facebook page, saying it planned to reopen shortly.
Con Edison crews found the leaks in the building after receiving a report of a faint gas odor, according to spokesman Alfonso Quiroz. Repairs must be made before service can be restored, he said.
Kenco Realty, which manages the building, did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the situation, which was first reported by EV Grieve. However, it told residents in a letter posted at the entrance that there would be no hot water or cooking gas because Con Edison shut off the gas supply.
“This is not good news,” the letter read, blaming the service disruption on an “unexpected emergency gas leak.”
“We tried to persuade [Con Ed] otherwise, but because of the explosion across the street, they err on the side of over caution,” the letter said, referring to the March 26 gas explosion that killed two men and razed three buildings.
The landlord said it planned to bring in plumbers Monday night and Tuesday. Restoring the building's hot water is the top priority and could take days to return, the notice said. Cooking gas could take weeks to restore, Kenco Realty said in the letter.
“We are so sorry for the disruption of these basic services but we will do everything we can to get them restored as quickly as possible. We will keep everyone informed of our progress.”