BEDFORD-STUYVESANT — One person was seriously hurt and at least six people were left homeless after a fire tore through a Bed-Stuy apartment early Friday morning, FDNY officials said.
The blaze broke out on the fourth floor of 1168 Fulton St. near Spencer Place around 4:50 a.m., according to an FDNY spokesman.
A person, whose identity was not immediately released, was taken to Cornell Hospital in serious condition with life-threatening injuries, officials said.
Fire marshals determined the cause of the fire was “electrical,” according to an FDNY spokesman on scene.
“I am just really upset right now but I just thank God that I am alive,” said a resident who declined to give his name. “Living here 11 years you don’t think anything like this will happen.”
The American Red Cross is providing assistance for at least six people who lived in building, according to the resident.