MIDTOWN — Spa Castle's controversial Manhattan location was shut down indefinitely by the Health Department on Tuesday because the business lacked required documentation.
"We closed Spa Castle in Manhattan today because they were found to be operating without a permit or an approved safety plan, which is required for all bathing establishments in New York City," a spokeswoman for the department said.
The East 57th Street site of the popular spa, which reportedly opened last month, did not have a permit to operate a bathing facility, health department officials said.
In November, the co-op board of a neighboring building sued Spa Castle's 115 E. 57th Street franchise to prevent it from opening, claiming the bathhouse would block air and sunlight from the tenants and expose them to noise and nudity.
Controversy has followed the popular bathhouse brand.
An 84-year-old man died Dec. 28, 2014 in the College Point location. Hock Ma, 84, was found face up in a Jacuzzi by staff. The cause of death has not been determined.
The company that owns the spa, C. Castle Group, also owns a location in Texas.
The company could not be reached for immediate comment.