SUNSET PARK — The city withdrew its application for a massive project at the South Brooklyn Marine Terminal after a local councilman did not sign off on the plan, officials said.
The Economic Development Corporation had planned a $115 million reactivation in maritime services at the terminal, including $20 million to extend rail infrastructure to it, according to its website.
He also suggested a job training program for local residents, money to improve public spaces and asked the city to follow through on promised facilities at the newly opened Bush Terminal Piers Park like a second entrance and a playground.
The City Council was set to cast a procedural vote on Wednesday to hand over the terminal’s lease back to EDC after the previous leaseholder, Axis Group, went bankrupt, Crain’s New York Business reported.
But amidst the disagreement with Menchaca, the vote was pulled and the EDC "withdrew their application and walked away from the table," the councilman said in his statement.
“With deep disappointment, we did not reach common ground today,” he said.
The terminal’s reactivation was reportedly expected to create roughly 350 new jobs.
Menchaca said the EDC’s request came less than 45 days ago, around Thanksgiving last year, and did not leave enough time for community discussion. It also proposed “to officially remove our charter-mandated voice through the City Council for 49 years… by replacing it with a process that is non-binding,” he said in a statement.
Menchaca's backing was required under city law in order for the project to move ahead, the New York Daily News reported.
“Good manufacturing jobs are at the top of our agenda. It is regrettable that yesterday we could not reach agreement to bring these working waterfront jobs to Sunset Park, but we remain committed to finding a path forward that delivers for this community,” EDC spokesman Christopher Carroll said in a statement.