The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Drunk Woman Steals Idling Taxi in Greenwich Village, Police Say

By Danielle Tcholakian | December 11, 2014 12:29pm
 A woman stole a taxi in Greenwich Village, police said.
A woman stole a taxi in Greenwich Village, police said.
View Full Caption
Flickr/Daniel Dudek-Corrigan

GREENWICH VILLAGE — A drunk woman jumped into the driver's seat of a yellow taxi and took off as the stunned driver stood nearby, police said. 

Elizabeth Otero, 28, who does not have a driver's license, slipped into the idling 2014 Toyota Camry at East 12th Street and Fifth Avenue at 3:53 a.m. on Dec. 7, police said. 

A police officer tracked the cab using the taxi company’s GPS system and found Otero a mile and a half away, in front of 90 Mercer St., police said.

Otero was still sitting in the driver's seat with the engine running when police discovered her. She was slurring her words and her breath smelled of alcohol, police said.

Police said she was given a breathalyzer test about 6:10 a.m. and that her blood-alcohol content was .229 percent, or nearly three times the legal limit.

Otero was charged with criminal possession of stolen property, grand larceny, operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated and aggravated driving while intoxicated. She also received an infraction for operating a motor vehicle without a driver's license. She told an officer that she has never been licensed to drive a car, police said.

Police said she had no prior DWI charges.

A judge set bail at $15,000 bond or $7,500 cash, which Otero did not post. She is due back in court on Dec. 12.

Her lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Other recent incidents in the 6th Precinct include:

► A woman smashed a wine glass into another woman’s face at a Meatpacking District restaurant, police said.

Police said Carmen Ingram, 28, got into an argument with a 33-year-old woman at Sugar Factory at 46 Gansevoort St. at 10:05 p.m. on Dec. 6.

The fight turned physical when Ingram picked up one of the restaurant’s wine glasses and bashed the other woman in the face with it several times, leaving her with cuts, police said.

Ingram was charged with felony assault, assault with intent to cause physical injury and criminal possession of a weapon. She was released without bail and is due back in court on March 17.

Her attorney did not immediately respond to a message left for comment, and it was not possible to reach anyone at the Sugar Factory for comment.