The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Two Men Shot in Williamsburg, Police Say

By  Trevor Kapp and Aidan Gardiner | November 4, 2014 9:25am 

 One man was shot in the leg and the other was hit in the hand at a Williamsburg intersection, police said.
One man was shot in the leg and the other was hit in the hand at a Williamsburg intersection, police said.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Trevor Kapp

WILLIAMSBURG — Two men were shot near the popular Williamsburg music venue Rough Trade Monday night, police said.

The victims, aged 29 and 33, were with another man near an SUV at the intersection of Wythe Avenue and North Ninth Street about 1:15 a.m. when two 6-foot-tall men in gray and black hoodies opened fire on them, an NYPD spokeswoman said.

"I heard five shots. 'Pow, pow!' then a one-second pause, then, 'Pow, pow, pow!' I heard voices raised and one guy yelled, 'I told that guy, I told him,'" said Kevin Thompson, 56, who lives in a sixth-floor apartment overlooking the shooting scene.

"There were two guys on the ground. ... One was on his back. He was sprawled out and wasn't moving."

The 29-year-old was hit in his left thigh and the 33-year-old suffered a graze wound to his right hand, an NYPD spokeswoman said.

"A girl ran to the corner and was screaming trying to flag down another car. It was pretty wild," he added.

The two men were treated at Bellevue Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries, police said.

The third man, who was uninjured in the shooting, may have been an associate of rapper Freddie Gibbs, who had just performed a sold-out show at Rough Trade, according to the New York Post.

Gibbs posted photos of himself on Instagram about 5 a.m. with the caption, "Yep. Still livin. Thanks NYC."

The NYPD said the shooting may be connected to Rough Trade, but could not confirm the Post's account.


Yep. Still Livin. Thanks NYC.

A photo posted by @freddiegibbs on


Staff at Rough Trade declined to comment. Gibbs did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The two gunmen fled along North Ninth Street and remained at large Tuesday morning, police said.

Police said their investigation is ongoing.