QUEENS — Organizers of a summer outdoor concert series at Forest Hills Stadium said they are experimenting with ways to reduce noise from future performances after receiving complaints from community members.
They have been testing sound blankets, typically used at airports and construction sites, on the fence surrounding the stadium, said Jon McMillan, one of the organizers. They were also considering placing them at the top of the venue.
The concert promoters also said that throughout the entire season they had worked with the city's Department of Environmental Protection to keep the noise at reasonable levels.
According to McMillan, inspectors from the DEP had been present during every concert to measure the sound level.
“They told us at various times that it’s been too high and we turned it down,” McMillan. “Every single time we have been asked to comply with [their request], we complied with it 100 percent.”
According to the New York Times, which first reported the recent noise complaints, the organizers were issued a noise violation for turning the volume up during a show on Sept. 19, featuring The Replacements.
But McMillan said that as of Thursday morning he has not been officially notified about it by the DEP.
The DEP did not respond to emails and phone calls seeking comment.
McMillan said that the group is trying to figure out whether covering large portions the fence with sound blankets is feasible and how to include entrances to the stadium into their sound mitigation plan.
The stadium emerged from a nearly three-decade hiatus last year with a sold-out show featuring British band Mumford & Sons.
Among the artists who performed at the stadium this summer were rappers Drake and Lil Wayne, Zac Brown Band, Modest Mouse and The Replacements.
Before the concert series started this year, the organizers met with the community to address locals' concerns.
The venue also underwent a major facelift this spring. New seats and benches have been installed and the aisles have been widened.
Frank Gulluscio, district manager at Community Board 6, which covers Forest Hills and Rego Park, said that throughout the summer the board had received eight complaints, most of them about the noise, traffic and access to specific street blocks.
Gulluscio also said that he received a number of positive reviews and comments from business owners who said the events are “stimulating the economy of Austin Street.”
According to the 112th Precinct there were no major concert-related incidents during the summer. There was only one arrest — a public beer drinker, who otherwise would have received a summons, was arrested because he had an active warrant, according to the precinct.
The office of city Councilwoman Karen Koslowitz said that some residents have complained about inappropriate language used during the concert featuring Drake and Lil Wayne.