The DNAinfo archives brought to you by WNYC.
Read the press release here.

Man Hit with Bat and Robbed in McCarren Park Handball Court, Police Say

By Serena Dai | September 3, 2014 2:14pm
 A man was hit with a bat and robbed while at McCarren Park's handball court.
A man was hit with a bat and robbed while at McCarren Park's handball court.
View Full Caption
DNAinfo/Serena Dai

WILLIAMSBURG — A man was attacked and robbed by a mob of men wielding a baseball bat in McCarren Park's handball court over the weekend, police said.

The victim, 27, was in the court with two friends between 12:50 and 1 a.m. on Saturday when between eight and 10 men surrounded him and struck him with the bat in the back of the right knee, police said.

After the man was on the ground, the men in the group said, "give me your money," according to police. The man said he only had $20, but a member of the group asked for $100.

The man then handed over $100, and the group fled, police said.

No one has been arrested for the incident.

Other notable crimes that occurred in the 94th Precinct include:

► A man working as a referee in McCarren Park had his bag stolen last week, police said.

The victim, 21, left a bag containing his iPhone 4S, wallet, Chase debit card, keys and some clothing on a bench inside the park while he refereed between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m. last Wednesday, police said.

When he returned, he saw that his bag was gone, police said. It was not clear what sport he was refereeing or where exactly in the park he was at the time.

► A Smorgasburg vendor had $6,000 stolen taken from his cash box on Saturday, police said.

South Williamsburg juice shop Summers Brooklyn was packing up tents between 6:15 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. on Saturday after the foodie event at North Seventh Street and Kent Avenue, police said.

Workers placed the cash box inside another box to move it from the park to their vehicle on the street, police said. When they returned, the money was gone, police said.

The business has been at Smorgasburg since April and has never had money stolen, said owner Chris Taha.

"Not sure what to say besides we got jacked and to be careful," he said.